Several people will look at my images and say, “Wow, you must have a nice camera!!” Yes, I have a very nice camera, but it is not all about an expensive camera. You can spend thousands of dollars on the best camera but still get awful images. That’s because you haven’t learned how to use the camera. In this blog post, I will share all the gear I use for Jessica Woodall Photography. Without this gear and my continuing education, the business would not be where it is today. I am forever grateful to those who invested time and energy in teaching those first-year clients who trusted me with their memories and me.
Canon EOS RP Full Frame Mirrorless Body
The Canon EOS RP is small but mighty. I was looking for a light camera because of my carpal tunnel, and this camera was the winner. Its mirrorless body weighs in at 2.7 pounds. Of course, the lens and battery pack will add more weight, but this was a great starting point. Here are a few specs about the camera.
About The Camera Body
- Lightest, smallest full-frame EOS camera
- RF mount compatible with RF lenses and EF/EF-S lenses
- High image quality with 26.2 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image processor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast and accurate autofocus
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your Canon camera into a high-quality webcam, or do the same using a clean HDMI output.
Purchase the Canon EOS RP here.
Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8 L Lens
After purchasing the Canon RP body, I knew I needed a lens that would work for weddings and family portraits. The RF 24-70 was exactly what I was looking for, but it came with a very heafty price tag. This lens was a significant investment, and I do not regret it. My images have hit a whole new level upon purchasing this lens. Here are a few specs about the RF 24-70 2.8 lens.
About The Lens
- High image quality and bright f/2.8 aperture zoom RF L lens
- Optical image stabilization of up to 5 Stops of shake correction
- High speed, smooth and quiet autofocus with Nano USM
- Min. Focusing distance of 0.69 ft by 0.21M (wide), 1.25 ft. by 0.38M (tele)
- A control ring for direct setting changes
- Lens compatible with Canon Mirrorless Cameras (EOS RP, EOS R, EOS R5, EOS R6)
Purchase The RF 24-70 Lens Here.
Neewer Vertical Battery Grip
Nothing is more frustrating than being in the middle of a photography session, the battery running out, and having to dig around for a replacement. It’s happened enough times that I purchased the Neewer Vertical Battery Grip. Check out the details on the battery grip below.
About the Battery Grip
- KIT INCLUDES (1)Vertical Battery Grip compatible with Canon EOS RP DSLR Camera, (2)7.4v 1250mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Replacement for LP-E17; Note: Camera Not Included; This battery grip does not support AA batteries
- COMPATIBILITY: The battery grip is compatible with Canon EOS RP DSLR Camera; With a 1/4 inch bottom screw thread, you can attach it to the tripod
- ERGONOMIC VERTICAL DESIGN: Equipped with wire longitudinal shutter button, enabling the camera to shoot with the same function just as a horizontal grip; Keep a balance between a camera with a heavy lens, making better shooting
- LARGE CAPACITY: 7.4v 1250mAh rechargeable Li-ion with a premium cell for longer battery life without memory effect; Long-lasting power and durability; Short-Circuit protection and over-Charge protection for safe use
- PORTABLE: Easy to carry when you are out; No need to worry about the shortage of power when shooting; Charge up fast and hold charge well
Purchase the battery grip here.
SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO
There’s not a whole lot to say about SD cards. The more memory and the higher speed, the better! It can be frustrating in the middle of a session when your SD card runs out of room or when you are snapping away, but your card is so slow. I like the memory to be around 128Gb and the speed to be around 170 mb/s. So far, this seems to be a good fit for my business. Oh, speaking of memory, another thing to do right away is change the file size from JPG to RAW. The RAW files will allow you to capture more so you can edit the details in Lightroom.
About The SD Card
- Shot speeds up to 90MB/s, transfer speeds up to 170MB/s [requires a compatible device capable of reaching such speeds, such as the SanDisk SD UHS I card reader (sold separately)] | Based on internal testing; Performance may be lower depending upon host device, interface, usage conditions, and other factors 1MB=1,000,000 bytes; X = 150KB/sec
- Perfect for shooting 4K UHD video (1) and sequential burst mode photography, (1)Full HD (1920×1080) and 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) video support may vary based on host device, file attributes, and other factors. Compatibility – Compatible with microSDHC and microSDXC supporting host devices
- Capture uninterrupted video with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and video Speed Class 30 (V30)(2) | (2)UHS Speed Class 3 designates a performance option designed to support 4K UHD video recording with enabled UHS host devices; UHS video speed class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS enabled host devices
- Built for and tested in harsh conditions (3): Temperature Proof, Water Proof, Shock Proof, and X-ray Proof, (3)Card only.
BUFFALO External SSD 1TB
After a wedding or photo session, I will back up my images and save them to this SSD. I also save all the final photos to this stick. This external SSD holds 1TB, which is a substantial amount. However, I love its sleek design as it does not take up a lot of space in my bag.
About the Buffalo External SSD
- BEST STICK SSD – Compact and reliable SSD to meet your on-the-go demand. Compatible with PS4/PS5, Macs, and PCs. Save space and loading time on your console by storing your game data on Buffalo SSDs.
- IDEAL ON-THE-GO ACCESSORY – Quickly copy your significant data. If you are a professional in need of fast and secure storage, the Buffalo SSD is ready for on-the-go backup for photos, videos, docs, and more.
- FAST SPEEDS AND MULTI-TASKING – Blazing fast speed (up to 600 MB/s) enables you to connect the drive to the PC and perform large intensive tasks simultaneously.
- COMPACT, DURABLE, & RELIABLE – Shock-resistant, the rugged design provides drop protection. Stick and retractable form factor to carry your data in the palm of your hand. So whether it’s for work or fun, you can easily use your Buffalo SSD on the go.
- USB 3.2 CONNECTIVITY & 3-YEAR WARRANTY – Supports USB-C / USB-A. Easily connect the Buffalo SSD to your PC and other mobile devices. THREE-YEAR WARRANTY for registered devices (two years if unregistered).
MOSISO Camera Backpack
I’m super picky when it comes to storing my camera. I have tried many different ways to carry my gear. Initially, I left my bag in the car and walked around with my camera. But, honestly, that’s not too smart. Your battery could go dead, or you could run out of memory.
Extra batteries and SD cards should be in your bag at all times. I’ve found this compact but roomy backpack. It has come in handy over the past year, and out of all the bags I’ve gone through, this is my favorite so far.
About the Mosiso camera bag
- Dimension:17.32×11.8×7.5 inch. 2 compartments included. Padded removable modular inserts in the upper one (16.54×11.42×5.5 inch) is customized dividers for different cameras, flashes, lens, and drones.
- Full open design. Two accessory pockets on the back face can store cables, sd cards, power bank, and other small items. Tripod/monopod holder is featured with one secure strap on one bag side. One pocket on another side can store an umbrella or water bottle(up to a maximum of 2.5 diameter). One anti-theft pocket is designed on the back for your wallet, cellphone, and precious items.
- With waterproof PU leather hardshell protection in front. The padded foam layer can provide a good buffer and security to your internal stuff against shock and drops. In addition, a high elastic back cushion can ease your pain after a long time.
- The padded shoulder strap varied from 17.72 to a maximum of 39.4 inches and can be adjusted per personal preference. In addition, the clip strap featured on the shoulder strap can hang sunglasses, eyeglasses, towels, and clothes.
- This multifunctional camera bag is professionally designed for DSLR / SLR / Mirrorless cameras of different brands. Compatible with Nikon D5600, D5300, D3500, D3400, D3300, D3200; compatible with Canon EOS Rebel T6, T6i, SL2 and other standard-size DSLRs. Also designed to be compatible with DJI Mavic Drone(Mavic 2/Air/Pro). 1-year warranty on each bag.
I hope this list helps you in your photography journey! Please reach out if you have any questions or insight.
July 13, 2022